Monday, November 19, 2012

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Is "Somewhat" Netbook Friendly [Update]

Photobucket

Update: This post was originally written on April 6, 2012 and was relocated to exist here in the GallantTeddy blog.

This image is a print-screen taken directly from my Netbook, my Samsung NC10. The OS that I am running is the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the resolution being displayed is at 1024x600.

The reason that I am mentioning the resolution is because as you can tell from the image, everything is static (not moving) and the "Photos," "Mail," and the "People" apps are not functioning the way they should be, by which I mean they should be animated and be displaying my mail, photos, etc.

In order for the apps to function properly your PC should have a resolution of 1024x768 or higher, otherwise you will receive an error indicating to increase your resolution.

This of course tends to be problematic for the complete usage of W8 on a Netbook. To make matters worse is that upon installing W8, it automatically changed my Netbook's native resolution of 1024x600 to 800x600. I literally had to install a separate driver in order to "trick" the W8CP to think that my Netbook could be able to run a higher resolution.

However, even through all of this I have to admit that W8CP looks gorgeous on my display even though the apps don't necessarily work. It certainly brings new life to my small PC I once thought of as dead.

I'm really hoping that once Windows 8 is fully released they will change this entire "limiting apps to resolution" thing. It makes no sense making a very good OS that is capable of running well on a Netbook, not running on a Netbook at all. I know I wouldn't mind taking this OS around with me so long as it works and it looks nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment